Since 1972, IFOAM occupies an unchallenged position as the only international umbrella organization of the organic world. This allows IFOAM to unite, lead and assist the organic movement in its full diversity, while providing a common voice on relevant organic issues.
IFOAM implements the will of its broad-based constituency, with over 870 Affiliates in more than 120 countries and is governed by a World Board originating from all continents.
Its work includes:
- Providing of an international umbrella through a global information platform, publications, a directory, statistics and magazines;
- Lobbying international organizations (e.g. UNO) to include organic farming methods and concepts into proposed solutions for food security, biodiversity, sustainable land and water management or climate change;
- Uniting organic standards in the IFOAM Family of Standards, accreditation of certification bodies and the provision of other services for quality assurance in organic agriculture and products;
- Implementation of projects to develop organic agriculture, especially in developing countries;
- Capacity-building of actors within the organic movement.